Office of Communications

Please download to get full document.

View again

of 6
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.


Document Related
Document Description
Office of Communications Questions and Answers Oct. 26, 2009 Transitional Worker Program for the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Background On May 8, 2008, President Bush signed into law Public Law 110-229, the Consolidated Natural Resources Act of 2008 (CNRA). Title VII of this law amended Pub. L. 94-241, the Act approving the Covenant to Establish a Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) in Political Union with the United States. Title VII fully extends cert
Document Share
Document Tags
Document Transcript
  Office of Communications Questions and Answers Oct. 26, 2009 Transitional Worker Program for the Commonwealth of the NorthernMariana Islands (CNMI) Background On May 8, 2008, President Bush signed into law Public Law 110-229, the Consolidated NaturalResources Act of 2008 (CNRA). Title VII of this law amended Pub. L. 94-241, the Act approving theCovenant to Establish a Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) in Political Union withthe United States. Title VII fully extends certain provisions of the immigration laws of the United Statesto the CNMI for the first time in history. A transition period formally begins November 28, 2009.   Questions and AnswersQ. Who qualifies for the CNMI-only Transitional Worker status in CNMI?  A . USCIS has established a transitional worker program for foreign nationals to live and work in CNMI.Foreign nationals who are eligible for an INA-based nonimmigrant status would not be eligible. Shortterm visitors for business or pleasure are not eligible to obtain CW classification because such individualsare not part of the foreign work force that is the subject of this interim rule. Q. What is the legal basis for the CNMI-only Transition Worker program?  A.   Section 6(d) of Pub. L. 94-241, as amended by CNRA, directed the Secretary of Homeland Securityto establish a transition program to assist CNMI employers to obtain necessary workers who are nototherwise eligible under U.S. immigration laws during the transition period. Q. What is the purpose of the CNMI-Only Transitional Worker Program?  A . The CNMI-only Transitional Worker Program will allow foreign nationals who are not eligible for another INA-based employment authorized nonimmigrant status to perform work in CNMI during thetransition period. Thus, the purpose of the CNMI-Only Transitional Worker visa is to offer a lawful U.S.immigration status to those foreign nationals who are not currently eligible for any other kind of immigrant or nonimmigrant visa. During the transition period, it is expected that these transitionalworkers will find a suitable, long-term alternative to their CNMI-Only Transitional Worker status byobtaining status under an INA-based visa category, or departing CNMI. Q. What happens to foreign workers in CNMI on November 28, 2009?  A . When Federal immigration law takes effect in CNMI on November 28, 2009, foreign workers whohave a valid CNMI employment authorization may remain, live and work in CNMI for up to two years, or for the duration of their CNMI-based status, whichever occurs first. Before the expiration of that limitedtime period, they must obtain either CNMI-Only Transitional Worker status, or some other lawful U.S.immigration status to lawfully work and reside in CNMI and to travel between CNMI and another U.S. or foreign destination. If they leave CNMI for any reason, they must have a valid U.S. immigration visa tore-enter. Foreign workers who do NOT have a CNMI work contract could risk becoming “unlawful” if another U.S. immigration status is not obtained. Q. What is the admission code for this visa classification be?  A . This new nonimmigrant visa classification will use the admission code CW-1 for the principaltransitional worker and CW-2 for dependents.  Office of Communications Q. What does this mean for foreign residents who have been living and working in CNMI?  A . For those foreign workers who are not eligible for another kind of U.S. immigration status, thetransitional worker visa is a critically important alternative. It could potentially give thousands of foreignworkers a temporary status while they determine an appropriate long-term immigration status for themselves and their families. Q. What are the timeframes of the transition period?  A . Although U.S. immigration laws apply fully to CNMI, there will be a transition period during whichtemporary measures will be carried out to allow for an orderly transition from CNMI’s permit system toFederal immigration law and give foreign non-resident workers time to identify an appropriate long-termINA-based visa classification. The transition period begins on November 28, 2009 and will end onDecember 31, 2014. The Secretary of Labor, in consultation with appropriate federal agencies and theGovernor of CNMI, may extend the CNMI-Only Transitional Worker program for additional periods of up to five years. No decision on any extension has been made at this time. Q. What are the requirements for the new CNMI Transitional Worker visa or status?  A . Under the CNMI-Only Transitional Worker program, there are requirements for both employers andworkers.Requirements for Employers—Employers must be engaged in legitimate business and may not engagedirectly or indirectly in prostitution, trafficking in minors, or any other activity that is illegal under Federal or CNMI law. The employer also bears the responsibility of filing the necessary petition and paying the requisite fees to employ transitional workers.Requirements for Workers — Under the interim final rule, foreign workers may be classified as CW-1nonimmigrants if, during the transition period, they:1.will enter or stay in CNMI to work in an occupational category that needs alien workers tosupplement the resident workforce;2.are petitioned for by an employer; in CNMI;4.are lawfully present in CNMI; and5.are not otherwise inadmissible to the United States. Q. What does a worker need to do to get this visa or status?  A . The foreign national worker must meet the criteria noted in the answer above and find an employer willing to sponsor him/her. The responsibility for applying rests with the employer. Employers may file a petition for a transitional worker with USCIS using Form I-129CW, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker in the CNMI. (This new form was modeled after the existing Form I-129.) Q. What does the worker’s spouse and/or child need to get CW-2 status?  A. To accompany or follow to join, the derivative CW-2 nonimmigrant may file an application for extension of nonimmigrant stay on Form I-539 in accordance with the form instructions. The CW-2 statusextension may not be approved until approval of the CW-1 extension petition. The filing fee is $300. Q. How does someone obtain CW status?  A . Once the I-129CW petition is approved, the beneficiary and eligible family members may apply for CW-1, or CW-2 status. Since foreign nationals present in CNMI will not have given biometricinformation to the Federal government before, and thus not have had required security checks conducted, biometrics will be required. The fee to collect biometrics is $80. A fee waiver is available if applicantscan show inability to pay for both the Form I-129CW and biometric fees.  Office of Communications Aliens who are abroad will need to apply for a CW-1 or CW-2 visa at a U.S. consulate. When applicantsapply overseas, USCIS will not require biometrics, however biometrics may be required by theDepartment of State. Q. Which groups can apply for the Transitional Worker Program?  A . The transitional worker program will be available to two groups of foreign workers: (1) those who arelawfully present in the CNMI and (2) those who are abroad. Q. Can people with CW status travel outside the CNMI?  A . Once status is obtained, the CW-1 or CW-2 nonimmigrant may leave CNMI but they must have theappropriate visa to re-enter. If the CW-1 or CW-2 status is obtained in CNMI (not the Consular postabroad) the nonimmigrant will have the legal status, but this is not a visa valid for travel to and admissioninto CNMI. If the CW-1 or CW-2 nonimmigrant departs CNMI, he or she must obtain a visa from a U.S.embassy or consulate to return to CNMI, unless alternative arrangements have been specifically approved by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Q. How does one obtain the visa for re-entry?  A . Someone who has obtained CW-1 or CW-2 status in CNMI (not at a Consular post abroad) who needsto leave CNMI for whatever reason will need to get a visa from the State Department to re-enter CNMI.Usually this is done at the U.S. Embassy or a U.S. Consulate via a locally managed appointment system.If, for example, someone with CW-1 status plans to visit family in the Philippines, he/she would need tomake an appointment with the U.S. Embassy in Manila to get the CW visa while they are in thePhilippines. They would need to travel with documents to show the State Department officer during their interview and be prepared to wait at least a few days for the visa to be issued. Each U.S. Embassy andConsulate abroad has a different appointment system. To learn more about the U.S. Embassy or Consulate you may need to visit, travelers should go to: wait times for  each Consular post abroad are posted at: Q. Can people with CW status travel elsewhere within the United States?  A . No. The CW visa classification is valid only in CNMI and does not permit travel to any other part of the United States, including Guam. However, if someone with CW status qualifies for another kind of nonimmigrant or immigrant visa, or a visa waiver program, he or she may travel elsewhere in the UnitedStates and the CW status would not prevent that. Q. How much does it cost to apply for this visa?  A . The fee for Form I-129CW will be $320, the same amount charged for the I-129. In addition, PublicLaw 110-229 mandates a “CNMI education funding fee” of $150 per beneficiary per year which ismandatory and cannot be waived. Lastly, there would be a fee of $80 to collect biometrics (fingerprintsand photos) and run necessary background checks. This expense could be borne by the applicant or theemployer. Q. Are fee waivers available?  A .  Normally there is no fee waiver in employment-based cases. However, due to unique circumstances inCNMI, the I-129CW fee may be waived in extraordinary situations where an employer can demonstratean inability to pay the fee. However, given the inherent inconsistency between sponsoring an alien for work and being unable to pay the fee required for that sponsorship, the situations warranting a fee waiver are expected to be extremely limited. There is a fee waiver for the $80 biometrics fee if applicants canshow an inability to pay. Q. Can an employer petition for more than one worker on the same form?  A . Yes, with some restrictions, employers may file for multiple beneficiaries on the same I-129CW. If the employees are all working in the same occupational category, for the same time period and in the  Office of Communications same location, the employer may name as many employees on the petition as he/she wants. Unnamed beneficiaries are not allowed under this program. Q. When can employers begin filing for workers?  A . The interim final rule stipulates that employers may not file for a worker more than six months beforethe date the employer needs that employee’s services (i.e. if an employer needs a worker’s services onJanuary 1, the employer may submit a petition for the worker no earlier than July 1). The rule states that petitions may be filed before November 28, 2009, but USCIS will not grant CW-1 status before that date. Q. What forms are needed to apply for this visa?  A.   Employers may file a petition for a transitional worker with USCIS using Form I-129CW, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker in CNMI. (This new form was modeled after the existing Form I-129.) Q. How does the employer file the Form I-129CW Petition?  A. By mail to the USCIS California Service Center. Please follow the instructions on the form. Q. What happens to CW-1 transitional workers at the end of the transition period?  A . The transition period ends on December 31, 2014. The CW classification will exist for the duration of the transition period. CNMI-Only Transitional Worker status will be granted initially for 1 year and isrenewable throughout the transition period in 1-year increments. At the end of the transition period, theTransitional Worker Program will cease to exist and the transitional workers who held this status mustchange to another nonimmigrant or immigrant status under the INA if they wish to stay in CNMIlawfully. The U.S. Department of Labor may extend the availability of the CNMI Transitional Worker Program beyond 2014, but no decision on any extension has been made at this time. Q. What occupational categories would be allowed?  A . Under the rule, the Transitional Worker program includes MOST occupational categories being usedin CNMI now. Domestic household workers employed directly by private residents will not be eligiblefor CW-1 status. However, domestic workers employed through a “legitimate business” for placement inindividual households could be eligible. Q. Which CNMI employers are eligible to petition for transitional workers?  A. To be eligible to petition for a CW-1 nonimmigrant worker, an employer must: be engaged inlegitimate business; consider all available United States workers for the positions being filled by the CW-1 worker; offer terms and conditions of employment which are consistent with the nature of theoccupation, activity, and industry in CNMI; and comply with all Federal and Commonwealthrequirements relating to employment, including nondiscrimination, occupational safety, and minimumwage requirements. Legitimate business means a real, active, and operating commercial or entrepreneurialundertaking which produces services or goods for profit, or is a governmental, charitable or other validlyrecognized nonprofit entity. The business must meet applicable legal requirements for doing business inCNMI. A business will not be considered legitimate if it engages directly or indirectly in prostitution,trafficking in minors, or any other activity that is illegal under Federal or CNMI law. Q. Can domestic workers receive CW-1 transitional worker status under this program? A. Yes, but they must be sponsored by an eligible employer doing business in CNMI as described above. Q. What does a CNMI employer need to demonstrate in its petition for a transitional worker?  A . A petition must be accompanied by evidence demonstrating the petitioner meets the definition of eligible employer, and must attest that: qualified United States workers are not available to fill the position; the employer is doing business as defined in the rule; the employer is a legitimate business asdefined in the rule; the worker has the qualifications for the position (including an occupational license, if required for the occupation); the worker, if present in CNMI, is lawfully present in CNMI; the position isnot temporary or seasonal employment, and the petitioner does not reasonably believe it to qualify for any
Search Related
Previous Slide


Next Slide


We Need Your Support
Thank you for visiting our website and your interest in our free products and services. We are nonprofit website to share and download documents. To the running of this website, we need your help to support us.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

No, Thanks