FOI Access Form

of 4
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
Document Description
Information Act Section 18 Application to access information Use this form if you want to apply to access information held by a Northern Territory public sector organisation. Lodge the completed form with the organisation that holds the information you want. Your name and contact details: Title (please circle): Ms / Mrs / Miss / Mr / Dr / First Name:____________________________________ Family Name:__________________________________ Phone: (B/H)_____________(A/H)_________________ Email:_________
Document Share
Document Tags
Document Transcript
  Information Act  Section 18 Application to access information Use this form if you want to apply to access information held by a Northern Territorypublic sector organisation. Lodge the completed form with the organisation thatholds the information you want. Your name and contact details: Title (please circle): Ms / Mrs / Miss / Mr / Dr / First Name:____________________________________ Family Name:__________________________________ Phone: (B/H)_____________(A/H)_________________ Postal Address:Email:________________________________________ Fax:____________________________    Name the Organisation that holds the information you want: _____________________________________________________________________________________________  Describe the information you want: Please provide as much detail about the information you want, eg, dates created, location, subjectmatter, who was involved. (Attach another sheet of paper with more details, if necessary.) ______________________________________________________________________________  ______________________________________________________________________________  ______________________________________________________________________________  ______________________________________________________________________________  ______________________________________________________________________________  ______________________________________________________________________________  ______________________________________________________________________________  ______________________________________________________________________________  ______________________________________________________________________________  ______________________________________________________________________________  ______________________________________________________________________________  ______________________________________________________________________________  ______________________________________________________________________________  Preferred form of access: (please tick)      Copies    Inspection      Other (specify, eg, electronic copy) __________________________________________________________   CONTINUED OVER THE PAGE  Application fee - $30: (please tick relevant box)If your Application is only for records that contain personal information about you, there is no Application fee.But if your Application is for information that is not about you, or for a mix of non-personal and personalinformation, you must pay an Application fee. In some cases, the fee may be waived or reduced.      I limit my Application to records that contain personal information about me (No Application fee)    I attach a $30 cheque / money order / receipt * for the Application fee      I attach a completed Application to Waive/Reduce Fees  form in relation to the Application fee.   *You may pay the fee to any Receiver of Territory Monies and attach the receipt to your Application. Processing fee: (please tick if relevant)A processing fee may be charged to cover costs of processing the Application. If your Application is only forrecords that contain personal information about you, the processing fee is more limited. In some cases, thefee may be waived or reduced.      I understand that I may have to pay a processing fee in relation to the Application.      I attach a completed Application to Waive/Reduce Fees  form in relation to the processing fee.  Identification: (please tick if relevant)The organisation needs proof of your identity. You may attach a copy of an identification document (eg.driver’s licence, passport, etc) if you are posting or faxing this form. If you are applying in person to theorganisation, you may produce your identification document to an official, or they may be able to confirmyour identity in some other way. If the organisation needs more, it will contact you.      I attach a copy of an identification document  Sign Here   Date / /  NOTES Privacy The Information Act  requires you to supply your name and an address for correspondence, as wellas sufficient details to identify the information you want. Additional contact details will assist theorganisation to process your Application. Some personal information may have to be disclosed toother people in order to satisfy consultation requirements under the Act and make an informeddecision on your Application. If you want to discuss privacy issues, you may contact theInformation Officer within the organisation. More information For more information about access to NT government information under the Information Act  youcan visit, or contact the Office of the Information Commissioner —phone 1800 005 610 or 8999 1500, fax 8981 3812, email, or post PO Box3750, Darwin NT 0801.For help filling out this form, contact the Information Officer for the organisation that holds theinformation you want (for details, contact the Government Switchboard on 8999 5511).  Information Act  Applying for NT government information (FOI) What information can I apply for? You can apply to access most government information held by NT public sector organisations.That includes information about you. It includes computer records. Organisations do not have torecreate records that have been destroyed or create new documents from memory. Where do I apply? Apply to the organisation that you think holds the information you want. For example, the NTPolice, the Department of Health and Community Services, the Ombudsman and the Department of Justice are public sector organisations. Before you make an Application, it can help to contact theInformation Officer in the organisation to talk about the information you want, and the requirementsof the organisation. If you do not know who to contact in the organisation, you can try theGovernment Switchboard (8999 5511) or the Office of the Information Commissioner (8999 1500). How do I apply? You don’t have to use a form but it will usually help with processing if you complete anApplication form. Forms are available from the Office of the Information Commissioner and frommost organisations. Your Application must: ã   be in writing; ã   include your name and address (a telephone contact number will also help); ã   describe the information you want with enough detail to identify it; and ã   if you apply for more than just personal information about you, be accompanied by a $30Application fee.You should include proof of identity with your Application. The requirements for identificationmay vary between organisations. The organisation will contact you if more information is needed. What do I ask for? Government organisations hold a lot of information. So it may not be very useful if you ask for“ everything you have about my car accident  ”. It will be much more helpful if you describe theinformation you want in detail, for example: “  I want all police reports and photographs relating toa car accident I had on 16 May 2002 at about 8:00pm on the Stuart Highway 30 km north of Katherine. I drove a white Holden ute licence number 123 456, and the other car was a green Ford sedan driven by Tom Jones. Sergeant Smith came, took photos and interviewed both of us. ”Often, contacting the organisation’s Information Officer before you complete the Application formcan help you to work out the best way to ask for the information you want.   What does it cost? If you are applying for personal information about you there is no Application fee, but you may becharged for costs of providing access to the information, for example, 20 cents per page for standardphotocopies.If you want more than just personal information about you, there is a $30 Application fee as well asa fee for dealing with the Application (a “processing fee”), eg, for time spent on searching,consultation and decision-making. The organisation may give you a written estimate of theprocessing fee and require you to pay a 50% deposit before it processes your application further.You may apply to the organisation to waive or reduce the fees in special circumstances. How long will it take? The organisation has 30 days from receiving a valid Application to locate the information anddecide if access will be granted. More time might be needed, for example, if your Application istransferred to another organisation — if it relates to large amounts of information — if extensivesearches are required — or if consultation with a third party is required. The organisation willinform you if it needs more time. What if I am refused access? The organisation may decide that you are not entitled to access some or all of the information youasked for. There must be a good reason to refuse you access to information. For example, theinformation may be exempt under the  Information Act  because disclosure would be contrary to thepublic interest, or the information may no longer exist. The organisation must inform you inwriting of the reasons if it refuses access. You may ask the organisation to review a decision torefuse access (“internal review”). If you are still not satisfied after that internal review, you maycomplain to the Office of the Information Commissioner. Is there another way? An application under the  Information Act  is just one way to access government information.Information about the activities of public sector organisations is published electronically and in hardcopy form. Reports and statistics are accessible on the websites of organisations and in libraries.There are other administrative and legal ways to access government information. The InformationOfficer in the organisation can discuss what is already available and options for access. More Information The Office of the Information Commissioner has issued guidelines on many aspects of Freedom of Information and Privacy in the Northern Territory. You may access them on the Internet request hardcopies by telephone on 1800 005 610 or (08) 8999 1500.Information Officers in each government organisation may be contacted through the NTGovernment Switchboard on 8999 5511.
Search Related
We Need Your Support
Thank you for visiting our website and your interest in our free products and services. We are nonprofit website to share and download documents. To the running of this website, we need your help to support us.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

No, Thanks

We need your sign to support Project to invent "SMART AND CONTROLLABLE REFLECTIVE BALLOONS" to cover the Sun and Save Our Earth.

More details...

Sign Now!

We are very appreciated for your Prompt Action!